WHO WE ARE
Credit Counselling Service of Sault
Ste. Marie & District is a non profit, registered charitable organization,
and a member agency of the United Way. We are governed by a volunteer
Board of Directors that reflects the community we serve. We are registered
and licensed by the Province of Ontario.
We have been providing practical
assistance and guidance to people with debt and money management problems
in Sault Ste. Marie & District since 1969. Our services are available
for families and individuals from any age group, culture, or income
level. Our clients come from all walks of life.
We are an accredited member of the
Ontario Association of Credit Counselling Services (OACCS) and the Canadian Association of Credit Counselling Services (CACCS).
Merits of Credit Counselling
Credit Counselling is extremely valuable
when compared to the potential cost to society without this service.
Over indebtedness is both an economic and social problem. Excessive
debt can cripple a persons potential, destroy family unity and cause
severe mental anguish. Economically, the consequences can be detrimental
to all those involved including creditors and the community.
Individuals and families in Ontario
have the opportunity through Credit Counselling to resolve their debt
and money management problems while at the same time reduce their
stress dramatically, restore family unity, regain self esteem and
establish a sense of well being.
Thanks to the generous support of
the United Way, creditors, and the community, Credit Counselling Service
of Sault Ste. Marie & District is here to help.
Credit Counselling Service of Sault Ste. Marie and District is a legally incorporated charitable organization whose primary functions are those of personal money management counselling, the arrangement of consumer debt repayment programs and credit education.
To be the first organization to which people, organizations, and institutions in this community turn to for help in providing individuals and families with the skills they need to prevent, manage and/or eliminate financial distress.
At all levels of the organization we value:
Integrity: We act with honesty and trustworthiness in all aspects of the organization and act in an ethical and transparent manner at all times.
Excellence: We adhere to high standards and best practices in all aspects of the organization. We foster learning, continuous improvement, teamwork and caring as the basis of delivering quality services.
Confidentiality: We respect the privacy and confidentiality of each individual we serve and keep their information confidential as required by law and professional standards in all aspects of the organization.
Dignity and Respect: We treat all people with dignity and respect. We act with fairness, empathy and compassion in all aspects of the organization.
Responsibility: We are fiscally and morally accountable in all aspects of the organization. We are committed to meeting the unique and diverse needs of our community.
Empowerment: We strive to empower individuals through financial education and counselling to resolve their financial problems and develop financial security utilizing sound money and credit management techniques.
Service Delivery Philosophy
The Agency will:
- ensure that the needs and preferences of the persons served are at the centre of all considerations, respecting the uniqueness of each individual
- respect the diversity of persons served and make appropriate efforts to accommodate their uniqueness
- respect the rights of persons served to make decisions about the service they receive, including the right to refuse or discontinue service within the limits set by service agreements
- respect the values and beliefs of persons served
- communicate with clients in manner that accommodates a diversity of needs, cultural backgrounds, language and communication skills
- engage persons served in shaping programs and services
- recognize the importance of the whole context, including an individual’s family, friends and community, as well as social, cultural and spiritual aspects
- utilize an approach to service that is strength-based and promotes autonomy, skill development and quality of life.
Client Rights Statement
As a client of Credit Counselling Services of Sault Ste. Marie and District, you have the right to:
- Feel welcome.
- Be treated with respect, dignity, and courtesy at all times.
- Receive high quality service in a professional, and non discriminatory manner.
- Receive services in a safe and secure environment.
- Have a positive experience that maintains your confidentiality and privacy.
- Be listened to and to ask questions.
- Receive complete information about the services available from our Agency.
- Provide feedback, positive or negative about your experience receiving services.
- To make a complaint if you are unhappy with any aspect of our services.
- Receive clear information to help you make decisions to improve your financial future.
For Further information please see
WE CAN HELP YOU"